The Genius Approach to Running a Successful Beauty Salon/Clinic
June 4, 2013
— Award Winning Techniques, Beauty, Beauty Community, Beauty Industry, Beauty Salon Profits, Beauty Salons, Beauty Success, Bioline JaTó, Business Support, Increased Beauty Salon Profits, Salon Owners, Salonowners, Skincare, Skincare in Ireland, Training
23rd May 2013, 6.30am; written by Anna Costello
An intelligent man once said, “If I had one hour to save the world, I would spend 55 minutes defining the problem and five minutes implementing the solution.” The intelligent man being Albert Einstein by the way! If your business was balancing very precariously on one leg and you only had one hour to work your magic, before it toppled right over, what would you do? Would you do as Einstein and spend your time wisely asking probing questions to understand the problem in depth and having done that, only needing 5 minutes to address the issue. Or would you sit back in your chair and instead of thinking and asking – you watch all the hustle and bustle around you for 55 minutes and spend the last 5 minutes panic brainstorming?
Many salon owners I have met and will meet only see the “reverse Dr. Einstein’s” approach. They have an incurable urge to keep the conveyor belt running, making the most of every client, metaphorically speaking. They’ll perform back to back beauty treatments for 55 minutes and then allocate the last 5 minutes running ragged getting ready for the next person and trying to figure out what just happened.
So, imagine this, a tea party in which Albert Einstein himself is sitting across the chequered covered table from you. Drinking his tea, he asks you to explain the situation – which you do. He then asks what have you done to locate the issue and solve the problem, this you have difficulty answering…So he pipes up and gives you some advice and I would imagine that he suggests your first minutes be approached like this:
- You have accumulated certain strengths as a salon owner up to now. Ask yourself if they are an asset. Dr. Einstein would challenge you to address asset protection, first and foremost. Issues such as professional ethics, insurance, claim free record, quality service menu, client database, valuable staff, training and planning, record keeping and the like. You have to secure what you’ve got.
- Next, he would ask if you had thought through personal money management questions and committed yourself to a personal work/life balance plan in writing. It’s shocking how few salon owners actually do this. Einstein’s objective here would be to make certain you grasp the full scope of the problem.
- He would then question your organizational skills and ask whether you had the computer, accounting, marketing and all those basic business support tools in place to take on this moneymaking goal.
- His next line of inquiry would focus on your background, beliefs and personal decision-making skills. Do you fully recognise the individual traits necessary to take on your niche and profit from the experience?
- He would no doubt question you about your market analysis methodology and ask if you’d tested the clarity of your vision. Have you theorised your approach? Does your plan match the requirements your findings?
- He would then examine the working routine you’ve devised for yourself and dare you to prove that you’ve really got the discipline to follow it.
- Finally, I’d expect Dr. Einstein to interrogate you as to where and how you expect to generate revenue growth ideas. In doing so, he’d want to know how exactly you plan to work out the best ideas and decide amongst a number of possibilities. (At this point, I am feeling like the swot in the front row, with my left hand supporting my right elbow as my fingers flutter, my waving hand like midgets on a rare good summers evening in Ireland, wanting to shout out the answer, but I’m mindful, you need this 55 minute journey to know your starting point).
Watching the minutes tick away, most salon owners would probably lose their patience at spending 55 minutes being challenged by Dr. Einstein to see if they correctly understand the puzzle at hand. But as one of the greatest minds in history, he knew that success and failure in the last 5 minutes is entirely dependent on the foundation meticulously constructed in the preceding 55 minutes. The clients do not reward salon owners in proportion to the number of hours spent in the treatment room. They only reward results. One can reap immense profits in a very short period of time if one’s execution is based on a thorough understanding of the challenges that clients will present. As they say, “You can work all your life to become an overnight success.” Nowhere is this cliché more true than in the beauty industry in 2013 Ireland and beyond.
Like Einstein, I believe that preparation and foundation are everything. Don’t short-change yourself. At Anna Costello’s Cosmetology Community, we have the full set of business support tools and community encouragement to help you spend your 55 minutes wisely. Start right by contacting us first at ACCC! I guarantee you will find your solution in our tool box. We’ve done the ground work so you don’t have to. We returned to pre-recession figures, and surpassed them in our flagship salon and we have also expanded our wings. Seriously, can you afford not to contact us?
Giving power back to the Salon Owner!
— Anna Costello
Anna Costello’s Cosmetology Community
Providing Business Support and Award Winning Techniques to Salons!!